Tanzania visa for US citizens: Requirements and Cost
Only a few countries in the world, including a number of Sub-Saharan African nations, can travel to Tanzania without a visa. The majority of other passport holders must obtain a visa for Tanzania in order to visit the country. So, How to apply for a visa to Tanzania from the US? This article will explain how to apply for a Tanzania visa for US citizens, as well as the requirements and costs.
Table of contents:
1. Tanzania visa requirements for US citizens.
To apply for a Tanzania visa from the US before traveling, visiting relatives, business, or transit, some Tanzania visa requirements for US citizens must first be met. Citizens of the United States (USA) are required to have:
- When arriving in Tanzania, you must have a valid US passport that is valid for at least 6 months.
- A passport-style digital photograph.
- Flight ticket/return flight ticket: you will be asked to provide your flight booking confirmation to verify your exact period of stay.
- An invitation letter and the company COI (for business e-visa).
- A tour host ID card/passport and an invitation letter from the host (for Tourist e-visa multiple-entry).
When entering Tanzania, it is also necessary to have a return ticket to the United States or to an onward destination, as failure to provide proof of the intended departure can result in the traveler being denied entry.
Tanzania visa requirements for US citizens.
2. Types of Tanzania visas for US citizens.
Tanzania visa for US citizens include:
- Tanzania Tourist visa (multiple-entry): A multiple-entry Tanzania tourist visa for Americans is intended for frequent visitors to the country. This visa is valid for 12 months and allows travelers to stay in Tanzania for a maximum of three months in a row. To be eligible for this visa, the applicant must be invited by a Tanzanian citizen and provide a variety of supporting documentation. According to the Tanzanian government regulations, US citizens can only apply for Multiple entry kind of Tanzania Tourist visa.
- Tanzania Transit visa: A transit visa to Tanzania is available for travelers who plan to stay for no more than 7 days while transiting to another destination.
- Tanzania Business visa: A Tanzania business visa is available for professionals planning to visit Tanzania in order to invest in Tanzanian businesses. This visa is valid for 3 consecutive months from the date of your arrival.
Types of Tanzania visas for US citizens.
3. How to apply for a visa to Tanzania from the US.
After ensuring that you meet the Tanzania visa requirements for US citizens and selecting the appropriate visa type, American travelers can complete the simple application for a Tanzania visa for US citizens online, which takes only a few minutes to complete.
To apply for a visa to Tanzania from the US. You must provide some personal and passport information, such as your full name, date of birth, place of birth, and travel document number, as well as your travel plans for Tanzania. To avoid delays in receiving the visa, it is critical to double-check all of the information entered.
Before submitting the form, applicants must pay the Tanzania visa for US citizens cost and provide a current email address to which a confirmation that the application has been received will be sent. After Tanzanian immigration officers have reviewed the application, the final approval or denial of the E-visa will be sent to this address. When you receive your visa, print a hard copy and bring it with you to the Tanzanian border, along with the passport you used to apply for.
It's important to remember to obtain a visa to Tanzania from the US. Does not guarantee entry into Tanzania, and the final decision is made by immigration officers at border entry points. As a result, it is critical to ensure that the traveler has all of the necessary supporting documentation when passing through Tanzanian immigration control.
Read more: Apply for a Tanzania Visa Online (e-Visa)
How to apply for a visa to Tanzania from the US.
4. Cost of Tanzania visa for US citizens.
Tanzania Immigration Services takes great pride in its ability to provide excellent service at a reasonable fee. The cost of your visa is determined by the type of visa and the processing time you choose.
To apply for a Tanzania visa for US citizens online, you have to pay two (02) kinds of Visa costs, which are called Service Cost and Government Cost.
Read more: Tanzania e-Visa fees
Here are your options:
- Tanzania Standard service: The processing time for a Tanzania standard e-Visa is within 03 business days. It's a suitable option for non-urgent and low-budget needs.
- Tanzania Urgent service: If you choose this option, your visa application will be processed within 48 hours.
- Tanzania Super urgent service: The application will be ready within 24 business hours.
In this time, the traveling trip will be more amazing and guaranteed, when you have COVID-19 Insurance for your benefit, in case the risk can happen.
Read more: Tanzania Visa processing time
Tanzania visa for US citizens payment methods:
You can choose to pay by 02 ways: electronic payment (Visa, Mastercard, American Express or Paypal) and wire transfer (HSBC transaction).
Cost of Tanzania visa for US citizens.
- Tanzania Immigration Services
- Tanzania Visa for Australian citizens
- Tanzania Visa for Canadian citizens
- Tanzania Visa for Chinese citizens
- Tanzania Visa for Egyptian citizens
- Tanzania Visa for UK citizens
Tanzania Visa Requirements for United States of America Citizens FAQs
Yes. Because the US is not included on the list of countries free from Tanzania visa requirements, US nationals are required to obtain a visa before traveling to Tanzania. The Tanzania eVisa is an electronic travel document that allows citizens from eligible countries to travel to and enjoy Tanzania (including Zanzibar). Currently, there are more than 150 countries that can take advantage of the Tanzania electronic visa system, including the US.
This type of e-Visa is valid for travel and leisure activities like vacations in Tanzania or Zanzibar or casual visits to family and friends. Travelers who wish to transit through Tanzania en route to other countries can also apply for a Transit visa. Fortunately, US passport holders can now apply for a Tanzania visa online which helps them save time and money compared to going to an Embassy or the Consulate. There are 04 different types of Tanzania eVisa available to US citizens: tourist eVisa - single entry or multiple entries, transit eVisa, and business eVisa. Each type serves a different purpose with a specific staying time allowed; thus, US nationals should choose the one that best suits their travel plans. With an eVisa, they can remain in Tanzania for up to 03 months.
US citizens are required to pay two types of visa fees: the Government fee and the visa service fee. The Government fee is the amount applicants must pay to the Tanzania Immigration Department to provide their visa. This is the obligation fee for applicants who wish to apply for an e-Visa. This is a mandatory requirement for travelers who wish to obtain a Tanzania eVisa.
Regarding the visa service fee, it is variable based on the type of visa service US citizens use. Depending on the processing time US individuals select for their visa application, a service fee is assessed. Customers of TanzaniaImmigration Services have three options for this service:
- Normal: When US visitors have ample time to prepare their documents, in the majority of casual circumstances. Their e-Visa will be delivered to them in a maximum of 03 business days, as guaranteed. This service has the lowest price, with 69$ per applicant.
- Urgent: For urgent instances where US citizens require their visas sooner. With this option, applicants can expect to have their eVisa processed within 48 hours. As a result, they will be charged an extra fee for this service.
- Extremely urgent: Used in situations where individuals holding US passports are about to board a flight but do not yet have a Visa for entry. They can receive their Visa with this unique service in a guaranteed maximum of 24 business hours. The most expensive service is this one.
As a US citizen, you can apply for a Tanzania visa in two ways:
- Apply for a regular visa at the nearest Embassy or the Consulate for long-term stays
- Apply for a Tanzania electronic visa online
The United Republic of Tanzania launched the Tanzania electronic visa system in November 2018 to hasten the visa application process and reduce the overload of visa applications at the Embassy. Holders of this visa can enter Zanzibar and Tanzania Mainland for tourist activities, doing short-term business in Tanzania, or simply transiting through this country en route to other destinations.
Tanzania Immigration Services has made it easier for US citizens to apply for a Tanzania eVisa. You can complete the visa application in about 15 minutes and wait a few days to get your visa via email. The 3-simple process is as below:
- Step 1: In this step, you need to give the following crucial information: Personal data (full name, address, birth date, and nationality), passport number, and arrival and departure date.
- Step 2: Pay the Tanzania e-Visa and send us some supporting documents.
- Step 3: You will receive an email containing the approved electronic travel permission in PDF format. You should have at least two printouts of your eVisa while traveling in Tanzania.
Yes. Americans can now travel to Tanzania to enjoy the superb landscapes in this country. Tanzania is home to some of Africa's most famous national parks and natural attractions, including majestic Mount Kilimanjaro. Consequently, safaris and other wildlife-related activities are the most well-liked activities in Tanzania and the main reasons tourists come there.
American travelers should check the Tanzania visa requirements prior to their trip to this fascinating country. A Tanzania visa is required for US citizens because the US is not included in the visa waiver program of the Tanzanian Government. With the establishment of Tanzania's electronic visa system, US passport holders are able to obtain a visa for Tanzania easily and quickly.
A Tanzania eVisa is an electronic travel document that allows its holders to travel to and enter Tanzania (including Zanzibar). It functions as a regular visa, though has a shorter validity period than the regular one. An eVisa is used for tourism, leisure, or casual visits to relatives in Tanzania. Americans can now apply for a Tanzania eVisa online on the Tanzania Immigration Services website, eliminating the need to visit the Embassy or the Consulate to get a visa. The application form takes them about 15 minutes to complete.
The sort of visa a US passport holder uses to enter Tanzania determines how long they are permitted to stay there. The US is a nation that is eligible for a Tanzania eVisa, so US nationals can apply for an eVisa online and take a quick journey to this intriguing nation. For US visitors, Tanzania Immigration Services offers four different types of eVisas, each of which allows for a specific length of stay:
- Tanzania Tourist visa (single entry): Holders of this visa can remain in Tanzania for 03 months from the arrival date.
- Tanzania Tourist visa (multiple-entry): Americans who travel to Tanzania frequently are eligible for a multiple-entry tourist visa. This visa allows US travelers to enter Tanzania multiple times within a year of its validity and stay there for a maximum of three months in a row.
- Tanzania Transit visa: A transit visa to Tanzania is granted to US citizens who wish to transit through Tanzania and have a short trip of up to 07 days there.
- Tanzania Business visa: A Tanzania business visa is available for professionals planning to visit Tanzania in order to invest in Tanzanian businesses. This visa permits a stay of up to 90 days from the date of arrival.
US citizens who meet the Tanzania visa requirements and correctly follow the instructions on the online application form can expect to receive a Tanzania electronic visa for US citizens within 05 to 72 hours. It takes just 15 minutes to complete the online visa application form on the Tanzania Immigration Services website, including entering their first and last name, date of birth, citizenship, and passport number, as well as paying the visa fees. In addition, US applicants can easily track the progress of their Tanzania eVisa here.
Once the visa has been processed, it will be sent to the applicant’s email address. Therefore, US travelers should ensure that they provide an accurate email to which they have access to avoid any problems with their eVisa. Currently, Tanzania Immigration Services offers US customers 03 options for visa processing time so that they can choose one that best suits their needs and budget:
- Normal: used in most cases when the visa application is processed within 03 business days. This service is suitable for applicants who have sufficient time for preparation.
- Urgent: This service is available to Americans if they just have a little time for all processes. Within 48 hours, they can obtain a Tanzania eVisa.
- Super Urgent: An eVisa for US citizens arrives in 24 business hours.